It’s no secret vast amounts of website traffic come from mobile users browsing from the convenience of their phones. As such, website owners have long since optimized their sites for mobile-friendliness using responsive designs.
So, if you haven’t already, you, too, could benefit from mobile optimizing your website to address many of the mobile marketing statistics. In some cases, this involves a bit of extra effort, but the payoff is certainly worth it.
Oh, and don’t take our word for it, the data speaks for itself.
For instance, at the end of 2015, mobile web traffic finally surpassed that of desktops! This alone is an excellent reason to ensure mobile users can easily access your online content. After all, there’s a good chance your competitors are already doing this, and you won’t want to be left in their dust!
Just wait, below are plenty of other mobile marketing statistics we’re going to share with you.
We firmly believe that keeping an eye on all the latest statistics in mobile marketing will help you to better understand the evolving mobile market and how you can capitalize on this medium.
So, below, we’ve researched and dug up tons of useful data to help give you an overview of how mobile devices will impact the online marketing industry for 2020 and beyond.
Let’s dive in.
Mobile Marketing Statistics for 2020
1. A recent AdWeek survey found that users have spent 88% more time watching videos on their smartphones year on year.
2. The average consumer spends more than five hours a day on their mobile device and unlocks their smartphone 150 times a day!
With over 80% of internet users owning a smartphone, needless to say, this has massive implications on the kind of traffic these devices drive.
But more specifically, for 2020,
3. The number of global smartphone users is projected to reach a whopping 2.87 billion!
Mobile Traffic Statistics
4. Up to 70% of all web traffic is a result of mobile devices, according to CIO Dive. Impressive, right?
5. Between 2016 and 2021, mobile traffic is projected to rise by 700%!
From this, we can deduce that we’re still likely to see a further rise in the amount of traffic generated from mobile devices.
Marketing and E-Commerce
So let’s turn our attention to other forms of online marketing…
Email marketers will be interested to know that:
6. Over 75% of the US use their smartphones to open emails.
Interesting, right? Well, here are other intriguing marketing and e-commerce stats to bear in mind:
7. In 2017, 61% of US emails were opened using mobile, and 15% occurred on desktop.
8. 39% of companies appreciate the power of mobile browsers and have consequently created mobile-responsive email templates.
9. Leading marketers are more than 300% likely than the average entrepreneur to increase their investment in mobile customer experience.
10. 68% of companies incorporate mobile marketing into their broader marketing strategies.
11. 71% of marketers consider mobile marketing core to their business.
13. Smartphone ads get more than 50% of consumers to search for a product
14. 70% of mobile searches lead to some form of online action within an hour
15. 60% of online consumers click on mobile ads at least once a week
So, how do this influence e-commerce and consumer buying habits? The answer: Significantly…
The Online Consumer Statistics
Here are even more statistics that highlight the impact mobile devices have on online shoppers:
16. 75% of smartphone users search for info on their mobiles without wondering which company provides the data.
17. Google says nine out of ten smartphone users aren’t confident (at first) about the brand they want to buy from when researching a product online.
18. 80% of shoppers use smartphones to assist with physical shopping, and 70% have purchased something in a store after looking up more info about the product on their phone.
19. By the end of 2018, over $1T of Chinese e-commerce sales were completed via mobile.
20. Mobile devices are used for over 40% of online transactions.
21. Since 2015, the mobile searches for ‘same-day shipping’ have increased by over 120%.
22. Nearly 50% of users read product reviews via their mobile devices.
23. 91% of smartphone users purchased or planned to buy something after seeing an ad they considered relevant.
Of course, with the rise in smartphone popularity, this also raises consumer expectations for the mobile experience you provide them. So, bear that in mind as you create your marketing plan.
24. As many as 69% of smartphone users say they would buy from a store with a mobile-friendly site that answers their questions.
25. 50% are more likely to purchase something immediately when using their smartphones.
26. 2/3’s of smartphone users are more likely to buy from companies with customized info about their location on their mobile app.
27. Those who received a negative brand experience on mobile are 62% less likely to make future purchases from that brand than if they had a positive experience.
28. Nearly 50% of consumers switch to a competitor after a negative experience.
29. 84% of mobile users have experienced some sort of difficulty making a transaction using their mobile device!
Mobile Devices and Social Media
If you’re harnessing the power of social media marketing, consult these statistics:
30. In 2017, 95% of Facebook users accessed their accounts via mobile.
31. Since 2016, 80% of Pinterest users accessed Pinterest via a mobile device.
32. 60% of Linkedin’s traffic comes from mobile devices.
33. 39% of the ‘most frequently used apps‘ are social media apps.
34. Instagram enjoys over 1 billion monthly active accounts
35. Snapchat has 186 million daily active users
36. Whatsapp has been downloaded approximately 66.6 million times.
37. 55% of social media engagement happens on mobile.
So, if you haven’t upped your social media marketing game, maybe it’s time you did.
The Most Searched Sites via Mobile
In 2019, these were the websites most searched on mobile.
- Facebook: 233,100,000 searches
- Youtube: 195,600,000 searches
- Amazon: 104,800,000 searches
- Gmail: 92,530,000 searches
This data should give you a clearer idea of where people want to consume content and shop online.
The Impact of Website Optimization for Mobile Devices
Mobile marketing and advertising is a massive, fast-growing market with fierce competition – so, an optimized website that provides a user-friendly experience us crucial. Here’s why:
38. 52% of consumers are put off after a negative mobile experience.
39. A slow page can be the cause of over 97% shopping cart abandonment.
40. Good mobile experiences improve 61% of people’s opinions about your brand.
41. Speed matters. A web page loading speed of five seconds or fewer guarantees 70% longer viewing sessions.
42. The average mobile web page still takes 15.3 seconds to load!
Google may now remove your site from its mobile search rankings if your website isn’t mobile-friendly.
43. Nearly half of users will abandon a website on a mobile device if the layout is complicated or the content is useless
44. Accessibility issues are the first reason 40% of users name for visiting a competitor’s website.
45. Users form an opinion of your site within one second.
This just goes to show how important it is that your website offers visitors an excellent user experience.
How Can You Optimize Your Website for Mobile Users?
The statistics are a no-brainer – it was time to optimize your site for mobile users yesterday.
This means providing a seamless and intuitive user experience that will encourage visitors to stay on your site and keep scrolling.
Here are a few tips for achieving precisely that:
- Optimize your site for faster loading speeds
- Use simple, scrollable layouts
- Avoid confusing menu navigations
- Target relevant ads to mobile users
- Utilize social media
- Make valuable content a priority
- Users form an opinion quickly, so invest in responsive and effective web design.
Top Tip: Keep an eye on Google Analytics for your website. This should tell you how much your audience uses their mobile devices to access your site, and will help you to identify areas where you can better improve the mobile user experience.
Did You Enjoy These Statistics in Marketing?
Keeping up to date with marketing stats works wonders for identifying all the latest marketing trends, and give you a better understanding of how best to promote your brand.
Mobile is a massive competitor to the desktop, and is now, if not, more, essential for grabbing the attention of possible leads and converting them into customers.
Despite these overwhelming statistics in marketing, many companies still haven’t optimized their websites for mobile users!
As a result, this is still a market where an innovative marketer from any industry can shine and outgrow their competitors. So, what are you waiting for? Follow the habits of leading marketers by optimizing your website for mobile use.
Do you want a helping hand with that? If so, please feel free to reach out and contact us. We look forward to hearing from you soon!