Imagine driving down a busy street, approaching your favorite restaurant.
It looks the same as always — until you see that there’s a review written in giant font across the front of the building: “WORST SERVICE EVER! DON’T GO HERE!!”
You can only imagine how customers would respond to seeing something like this on their local business — it wouldn’t be good for their bottom line (or their reputation) at all.
Nowadays, almost every business needs an online presence and mainly because it affects where they show up in search results. This makes understanding the importance of building and maintaining a positive online reputation for your local SEO efforts essential to staying ahead of the competition.
Let’s dive into Chapter 6: The Importance of Online Reputation in Local SEO and learn more about why having a good digital footprint matters so much now more than ever.
What is Online Reputation?
Online reputation in the context of local SEO is a measure of how a business or company is perceived by its customers. It reflects the customer’s experience and opinion of the business and can directly impact their visibility in search engine results.
In recent years, online reputation has become even more important due to the rise in local searches. With billions of people using search engines every day to find local businesses, it has become necessary for marketers and business owners to ensure that their online reputation is positive to stay competitive.
Of all the factors that influence one’s online reputation, none are more important than customer reviews.
A Good Online Reputation Starts with Customer Reviews
Customer reviews are like a gust of wind on the sails of a boat. At first, the boat may be slowly chugging along, but customer reviews can give it a much-needed boost that propels it swiftly forward.
Positive customer reviews can act as an endorsement to potential customers and allow businesses to sail rapidly toward success, while negative customer reviews can put the brakes on potential profit and cause a business to drift in circles or stall out completely.
Businesses should view positive customer reviews as an indicator of good quality products or services and use them to promote themselves.
Conversely, negative reviews should be taken seriously as they could potentially damage the business’s reputation and bottom line.
The key is to make sure that customers feel heard and their concerns addressed promptly. Responding quickly and constructively to both positive and negative feedback will create customer loyalty, trustworthiness, and referrals for the business – all of which will lead to increased revenue over time.
Ultimately, customer reviews have become an integral part of today’s business landscape and any local business not taking advantage of them is missing out on valuable opportunities for growth and expansion.
For companies looking to stay ahead of the competition, proactively seeking out customer feedback through surveys, polls, or other means is essential for staying informed about what customers think about their brand experience.
By gathering this information regularly, businesses can adjust their strategies accordingly to maximize revenue potential from satisfied customers.
It may sound simple enough but companies need to remember that customer opinion matters more than ever before – just like how wind on the sails can make or break a journey at sea.
9 Important Facts About Customer Reviews
1. Recent studies from 2022 have found that 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations when it comes to local businesses.
2. 74% of customers say that positive reviews make them more likely to use a local business, while the same amount (74%) are less likely to do so if they find negative reviews.
3. 90% of customers report having read reviews for local businesses in the past year, and 65% say they read them regularly.
4. Spotting trends in customer feedback is becoming increasingly important for local SEO; 92% of customers say that seeing what others think about a business before making a purchase decision is an important factor when considering local services or products.
5. Search engines like Google recognize the value of customer reviews and reward businesses with higher rankings if they have more positive ratings and reviews than their competitors; 88% of those who had used online customer reviews said that it positively affected their choice of which business to go with when looking for a local service or product.
6. A study from 2022 showed that businesses with 4-star or above ratings on Yelp had an average increase in web traffic growth by up to 97%, compared to an average 11% decrease in website traffic growth for those without any ratings on Yelp.
7. Over 63% of customers said they’d be willing to share their own experiences with other potential consumers through writing a review; this helps build trust and legitimacy within the community, thus further increasing the importance of customer reviews for improving rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs).
8. According to research from 2022, 52% of those surveyed said they would never consider using a business if it has no customer reviews at all – indicating just how essential having positive customer feedback is becoming to get noticed by potential customers online – and ultimately improving ranking signals for SERPs.
9. Many people are now turning towards social media as a way to find out about nearby businesses; one study from 2022 showed that 84% of people used social media sites before purchasing something locally, and 80% mentioned reading comments posted by others about the service or product before making their final decision.
Want more stats? Here’s an article by Oberlo on 10 Online Review Statistics you should know in 2023 that we found informative.
What Aspects of Customer Reviews are Most Significant?
The importance of customer reviews for local SEO is quite immense. Reviews are an essential factor in determining a business’s online visibility and success in search engine results, as well as in providing an overall positive impression to potential customers.
Here are two important aspects of customer reviews that you should pay attention to in determining the quality of your online reputation.
Quantity and Quality of Reviews
Quality and quantity of reviews play a major role in the effectiveness of local SEO. Having numerous high-quality reviews that are full of positive sentiment can result in improved local rankings, as these reviews act as a form of social proof that tells potential customers that others have had a positive experience with the business.
On the other hand, having negative or low-quality reviews can significantly damage how people perceive your business, resulting in decreased foot traffic and lost opportunities for possible sales.
Not only do bad reviews show potential customers that you’re not worth doing business with, but they can also hurt your local rankings by pushing you further down the SERPs.
Poorly written or fake reviews are especially detrimental to your local SEO efforts because they make it difficult for Google (and other search engines) to accurately index and rank your website among other businesses.
Reviews Response Rate
Responding to customer reviews promptly is another important factor when it comes to optimizing your local SEO efforts; this shows customers that you appreciate their feedback and are actively engaging with them – which is one way of improving customer loyalty and retention.
Moreover, having active conversations with reviewers sends more signals to search engines that you’re taking part on the web and creates more content for them to index – which can ultimately lead to higher rankings on SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
If you’re just getting started with a local SEO strategy, then we highly recommend going through a backlog of reviews to ensure each one has been acknowledged by your organization — both the good and the bad comments.
How To Acquire More Customer Reviews
Here are 7 proven strategies that marketers use to promote review generation.
1. Leveraging incentives to encourage customers to leave a review, such as providing discounts or special offers in exchange for an online review.
2. Develop campaigns around customer reviews, such as creating blog posts or website banners that feature customer reviews and highlight the importance of leaving reviews.
3. Utilizing targeted emails and newsletters to reach out to past customers and ask them to leave a review on local directories like Google and Yelp. This includes creating automated email campaigns that are sent out shortly after a customer completes a purchase or transaction with your business.
4. Creating social media campaigns featuring customer testimonials, reviews, and success stories to engage existing customers and encourage them to join the conversation by leaving reviews on local directories.
5. Offering rewards for customers who actively refer new customers or clients, while including incentives for leaving online reviews on local directory sites.
6. Incorporating user-generated content into blog posts, website pages, email newsletters, social media campaigns, and other marketing materials to encourage customers to post more positive reviews.
7. Generating QR codes that direct users directly from offline materials (such as flyers) to local directory review pages (like Google Reviews), with accompanying text encouraging people to leave positive feedback after using your services/products.
What are the Best Platforms to Acquire Customer Reviews?
Google Business Profile
To boost local rankings and reach more customers, one of the best platforms to acquire customer reviews is Google Business Profile (GBP). GBP is an entirely free tool from Google that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google’s services, such as maps and search. Additionally, when customers leave a review on a business’s GBP profile, it has the potential to significantly increase a business’s visibility in local search results. Furthermore, GBP also provides businesses with valuable insights into how customers are engaging with their brand. This can be incredibly useful for marketers looking to learn more about their target audience and tailor their marketing efforts accordingly.
Another great platform for acquiring customer reviews is Yelp. Yelp is a popular review site where users can post comments about local businesses and services they have recently used. Reviews on Yelp also appear in local searches on mobile devices and greatly contribute to boosting a business’s ranking in Google’s local search results. Additionally, Yelp offers several tools such as ads and sponsored listings that allow businesses to further promote their brand and reach more customers.
Finally, Facebook is another excellent platform for getting customer reviews. Facebook now allows users to leave reviews directly on pages belonging to local businesses; these reviews are then visible to other members of the same community, thus increasing the likelihood of new customers finding them. Moreover, many Facebook users also tend to trust user-generated content over traditional advertising methods; this factor alone makes it very effective for helping small businesses promote their brands locally and reach new audiences quickly.
Are There Other Factors That Impact Online Reputation?
Aside from good reviews, several other factors impact online reputation.
Organic Website Traffic & Website Performance
The amount of traffic your website receives is important as it indicates how many people are interested in your products or services. Search engine rankings also play a role, as higher rankings indicate visibility and relevance. Moreover, having a website that loads quickly and is easy to navigate is a crucial aspect of maintaining a good online reputation.
One of the most critical factors that influence online reputation is brand consistency. This means having a consistent look and feel throughout all channels such as websites, email campaigns, social media accounts, online directories (see NAP Consistency), etc.
It’s important to maintain these consistent standards of branding so that customers recognize you quickly and easily.
Social Media Presence
Having a strong social media presence is also beneficial, as it allows brands to easily engage with their customers and build relationships.
It’s also essential to be aware of customer sentiment on these digital channels.
Being proactive about monitoring forums for negative comments can help you turn around any bad attitudes before they become bigger problems and damage your reputation further down the line.
Similarly, addressing issues in public channels show customers that you care about them and value their feedback which can help improve overall sentiment toward the organization.
Overall, a good online reputation is essential for businesses that want to succeed in the digital age.
By focusing on building and maintaining a strong online presence, businesses can increase their local search rankings, draw in more customer leads, create a stronger customer base and promote brand loyalty. All of these factors come together to create a recipe for success.
While customer reviews are crucial for developing a good online reputation, they’re not the only ingredient in the mix.
Other things to consider include website performance, social media presence, excellent customer service and brand consistency. By paying attention to all of these elements, you can set your business up for success and watch as your online reputation grows by leaps and bounds.
If you’re ready to implement a local SEO strategy today, and would like a free consultation, get in touch with our Local SEO experts.